Ethical Security Precautions with Email:
When and How to Encrypt
Date: Tuesday, June 27, 2023
Time: 1 p.m. - 2 p.m.
Credits: 1.0 EP
This program will explore attorneys’ duties to safeguard electronic communications, including:
- Competence and confidentiality in the use of technology
- Ethical and legal duties for handling electronic data
- What is encryption, and how and when to use it
- When, and by what methods, attorneys may attachments containing “information relating to the representation of a client”
- Threats to the security of electronic data and communications
- Options for securing electronic data and communications
- How and when attorneys may use unencrypted email and when they must take special security precautions when required by a client, by rule, by law, or when the nature of the information requires a higher degree of security
Daniel J. Siegel, Esq
Daniel J. Siegel is a seasoned attorney and entrepreneur with 30+ years of experience. Dan is the owner of the Law Offices of Daniel J. Siegel, LLC, a workers’ compensation and personal injury firm, which has assured or increased the benefits of more injured workers than any other law firm in Pennsylvania. Dan has been widely recognized for this work, including being named a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer for Workers’ Compensation for 10+ years, a Philadelphia Inquirer Influencer of Law for Personal Injury and a Philadelphia Business Journal Best of the Bar Honoree for Plaintiff Personal Injury.
In addition, Dan represents individuals and families in Social Security Disability/SSI and medical malpractice claims and counsels clients on estate planning and real estate transactions. As Chair of the Pennsylvania Bar Association Committee on Legal Ethics & Professional Responsibility, Dan also provides ethics and disciplinary guidance as well as trial and appellate court writing to fellow attorneys.
Dan is also the owner of Integrated Technology Services, LLC, a technology consulting firm for attorneys and small businesses that combines his passion for technology and the law. Given this expertise, Dan is a frequent author and nationally recognized speaker on legal ethics, social media, law firm technology, law practice management and mobile computing for lawyers. Dan wrote or co-wrote several books for the ABA Law Practice Division including “How to Do More in Less Time,” “The Ultimate Guide to Adobe Acrobat DC,” “The Ultimate Guide to LexisNexis CaseMap” and “Checklists for Lawyers,” among others.
Originally Recorded: June 27, 2023
Important information & login instructions:
- This is not eligible as part of the 2023 Annual Pass.
- Minimum attendance requirements must be met. No partial credit available.
- Registration closes the day before the program; registration and payment must be received prior to 10 a.m. MT the day before the event.
- About a day before the webinar, you will receive an email from email@example.com with instructions to join. Please contact us prior to the program if you do not receive this email/link.