Legal Malpractice Insurance & Claims Avoidance 101
Date: Wednesday, December 15, 2021
Time: 11 a.m. - Noon
Credits: 1.0 EP
Selecting legal malpractice insurance can be a dauting undertaking. Due to lack of understanding, lawyers often find themselves without adequate coverage when a claim occurs. This “too little too late” scenario could be avoided if they had purchased coverage knowing some basic insurance concepts.
In addition, many policies provide coverage outside the realm of legal malpractice overage, such as coverage for disciplinary actions and employment practices liability. Often unaware or having forgotten such coverage was part of their policy, many lawyer-insureds never avail themselves of these and other protections they have under their policy of insurance.
During this informative, eye-opening program, you’ll learn about:
- Policy pricing
- Assessing carriers
- The importance of the insurance application
- Interpreting your coverage
- Claims-made coverage
- How to choose coverage limits
- How to select your deductible
- Policy endorsements
- Policy “add-ons”
- Why you should avoid coverage gaps
- What to do when changing firms and carriers
Originally Recorded December 10, 2021.
This is a “simulive” rebroadcast of a previously recorded presentation. Presenter will be available during the rebroadcast to answer questions.
JoAnn L. Hathaway
JoAnn L. Hathaway is a practice management advisor for the State Bar of Michigan, where she developed, launched, and oversees the Bar’s practice management program. She previously worked as a legal liability claims director, risk manager, paralegal, and legal administrator. She holds undergraduate degrees in Paralegal Studies, and Management and Organizational Development from Spring Arbor University, and a graduate degree in General Administration from Central Michigan University.
She is an Adobe Certified Expert, is a Certified Clio Product Pro, and holds software certifications in LexisNexis Time Matters and Billing Matters software. She is a Registered Professional Liability Underwriter, a licensed property and casualty insurance agent, and the author of the ABA publication Legal Malpractice Insurance in One Hour for Lawyers. She is active in the ABA Law Practice Management Division, serving on the Publishing Board and Law Practice Today Editorial Board, and is a frequent speaker on law firm technology, insurance, and risk and practice management topics.
Important information & login instructions:
- This is not eligible as part of the Fall Season Pass.
- Registration closes the day before the program; registration and payment must be received prior to 10 a.m. MT the day before the event.
- Once registered for the webinar, you will receive emails (one day before and shortly before the start time) with instructions to join and a link to check your computer system requirements. Join the webinar up to 30 minutes prior to the start time.